Saturday, June 2, 2012

My Computer Hates Me and My Experience With Voice Thread

Ahhhh!  This technology thing has been so difficult for me.  I have downloaded numerous programs the past few weeks, and now my computer hates me.  This is the first time I have been able to add anything to my own blog because my computer kept giving me error messages when I tried to add a new post.  Good news!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   My husband has a computer and doesn't need it tonight, plus the best news of all, I bought a new one today.  I can't pick it up until tomorrow though, but for only $99 extra they will fix at least 2 more old computers free.  I will have an iPad that I am learning how to use, an old computer, and now a new one.  I wonder if it will help me become better equipped with technology?   Moving on to more serious topics.

Through one of my Instructional Technology classes, I was introduced to a communication tool called Voice Thread. It is completely on-line and allows users to communicate from all over the world. Amazingly, images, videos, and documents can be incorporated into the conversation. Viewers can leave comments through text, video, built in audio, audio files, and even through the phone.

Presentations can be created in other programs and then utilized within the Voice Thread program. Viewers can interact within the presentation through a doodle feature, so their comments can be directed to the actual presentation.  My professor, Dr. Z, introduced us to this new form of communication through having us use it to respond to his video.  It was really interesting, and I can't wait to learn more about it.

As with all the new material that we’ve been exposed to, it will take time to experiment with how I might use Voice Thread in my classroom.  I also can't wait to experiment with adding pictures, links, and videos to my blogs.  My classmates are so very talented.

2 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed Voice Thread as well! I see so many uses for it in the classroom. Too bad about your technology frustration. I have days when I just want to revert back to only paper and pencil, but I guess that isn't the time we live in, is it? Hopefully things are working better for you now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sheila,

    Malfuntioning computers can be a real pain in the neck. I have been having problems with my computer for the past 2 months.

    It can increase your frustration when you are learning new technology. Do you think that you will be able to use VoiceThread in your kindergarten? I hope that you find a way to record your students' ideas.

    Z

    ReplyDelete