Monday, May 21, 2012

Distributed Learning Communities & How Can They Be Made Effective

In my technology cohort, we were divided into teams, based on the distributed learning model, and asked to work together on two separate projects.  Upon completion of those projects, we’ve been asked to reflect on our experience, as well as on some information that was presented by Dr. Chris Dede from Harvard University.

The idea behind DLC’s is collaboration where everyone has a voice and role in an effort to share their resources to gain understanding and eventually learn through the support of others.  On paper, this sounds amazing!  However, pitfalls exist when people work together.  Dede refers to them as challenges.  Competition and an inattentive attitude might take over, and not everyone gets that voice or comes away feeling successful.

DLC’s are not new in education.  We’ve called them different names.  However, I think the way they should be implemented could be new and exciting.  As educators, we’ve all gone through professional development activities that used cooperative learning tools for the sake of cooperative learning.  They aren’t always effective and positive for everyone.  I think this negative experience happens to our students more than we really realize.  As educators, we need to really think about how to use cooperative learning tools to benefit, not just use them for the sake of saying we implemented cooperative learning into our classrooms.  We need to really teach children what it looks like to work together.  We need to help them value differences in their peers.  If we truly want it to work, we have to live it and model it.

The idea of learning through this virtual classroom excites me.  The diverse nature of the members adds to the quality of support that each of us receives.  In a truly functional DLC, the work load is lessened because everyone has a role.  The classroom goes where you go, as long as the Internet is available.  This experience was very positive, but communication was difficult at times.  I am a piece by piece learner and enjoyed my roles.  However, I have to understand how the completed project got to its final point, so gaps exist in my mind.  For me, I have to actually put all the pieces together to understand the whole.  The activities were very challenging for me, but felt by stepping outside the box, I learned a great deal.

As I close, I am left to ponder some questions.  Why do we still have proficiency levels if we are supposed to value differences?  Are we sending the wrong message through our grading standards, even in groups?  How does inquiry based learning fit with mandated student learning expectations because all children are expected to meet those?

3 comments:

  1. I like your questions to ponder at the end. I agree that DLCs raise lots of questions that challenge the current model of education. Another question is whether or not enough people will buy into the idea in order for something like DLCs to be effectively implemented?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yea! I am glad someone else pointed out that DLC is not new---but a technique with a different name that we have been trying for years! I don't discredit this concept---I think we need more of it in our schools, but as test score are continually pushed, how will this fit in? I know when our secondary changed its math series and went to a more 'thought process' concept---it did affect test scores, so out it went. What do you think about these problems we may see with DLC?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the collaborative learning from years before is different than this. That was we each take a part and do it - then the more responsible ones finish what the slackers leave so everyone gets a good grade - based on the teacher's standards. This is the learners are responsible. They choose activities, set standards, monitor themselves, and teach each other. It feels different to me.

    ReplyDelete